Way Back Whens…day…one of the defining moments of my mothering life

The incident described in the below post, from February 5, 2009, goes down as one of the defining moments of my mothering life. I laughed. I cried. I freaked out. I pulled it together. But most of all, I realized the depth of my love for my children. 


Monday afternoon quickly turned from a typical day to what I affectionately call “hell on earth.” 🙂

A little before 3:00 pm, I started to make soup for dinner. As I was chopping veggies, Addie started to fuss and whine. That’s pretty common, so I didn’t think much of it. Except she threw up soon after she started fussing. I scooped her and Aidan up and brought them into the family room. I quickly cleaned Addie up, then put on Sesame Street so I could clean up the kitchen. While I was cleaning up the kitchen, she threw up again. At this point, I decided to bring them both upstairs for a quick bath. They were playing in the bath when Addie started fussing. Again, she threw up. I quickly took Aidan out of the bath and dried him off. Then I rinsed off Addie and wrapped her in a towel. While I was doing this, Aidan peed on the floor. I wiped that up, then brought them both into Addie’s room. She was pretty upset, so I held her in the rocking chair and let Aidan play naked. Since he just peed, I figured I had a litte time before I needed to get a diaper on him. I called Nick to tell him what was happening. While I was talking to him, I looked up and saw Aidan pooping on the floor! Nick got a play by play over the phone which went something like this, “Oh my God. Oh my God, he’s pooping. There is poop on the floor! Oh my God, he’s walking and he’s pooping!!!!” (LOL, right!?!) At this point, I am having a mini-breakdown so I hang up on Nick. Then I dealt with the poop.

We went back into the bathroom where I cleaned Aidan up, and got diapers on everyone. I thought I had better call Nick back to let him know I had the situation under control. But when I was telling him this on the phone, Addie puked on me again. This caused me to have another breakdown on the phone. After a pep talk from Nick, I brought them back upstairs and put them in the big tub in our master bath (as there was poop residue in their bath tub). We all got in and got cleaned up quickly. At this point, I called the pediatrician. The nurse said we could come in or wait for the doctor to call us back. I decided to wait for a call because I was worried about Addie puking all over the car and the doctor’s office.

So, we headed back downstairs to the family room. Guess what? She puked again. In a mini-panic, I called Nick and my mom. My mom came over to watch Aidan, and Nick was meeting me at the doctor’s office. We arrived around 4:45 pm. (If you’re keeping track, Addie threw up 5 times in one hour and 45 minutes.) She threw up in the waiting room and again in the exam room. Since she wasn’t interested in drinking any fluids, the doctor decided to admit her to the hospital for IV fluids and a 24 hour observation period.

We went home to pack up some stuff and to pick up Aidan, and we arrived at the hospital around 5:45. Poor Addie threw up a few times at home and while she was getting admitted. Once we were settled in the room, we had to wait and wait and wait. She threw up again. At this point, she was so weak and pale. I felt awful for the poor little thing. We ended up waiting until almost 10:00 pm for the nurse to start her IV! She handled the IV well and was so happy to be able to drink 6 oz of water/juice once it was in. She kept asking for more, but I had to wait 30 minutes before giving her more to ensure she didn’t throw it up. She actually fell asleep about 15 minutes afterwards, and slept pretty well the whole night. I stayed with her and slept on a foldout couch thing. She woke once around 3:30 when I had to change a stinky diaper, and then woke for the day around 6:30.

On Tuesday morning, she ate a saltine cracker and a few grapes and drank some more water. Nick arrived around 10:00 am, and we traded shifts. He stayed at the hospital, and I went home with Aidan. Addie continued to get better throughout the day and was discharged around 6:00 pm on Tuesday.

Now, she’s basically back to normal. Eating, drinking and sleeping are all normal. I bring her in tomorrow morning for a follow-up visit.

It was a rough 24 hours or so, but I am just so thankful that she is better now. Things could have been much worse.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s